Self-Assessment Paper

To what extent have I achieved the course learning outcomes this semester?” Specifically, your essay should quote and respond to the five course learning outcomes below. 

In my Writing for the Humanities and Art ENGL 21001 class this semester, I have achieved “Developing confidence in my writing, responding thoughtfully in writing to published and peer essays and to recognize features of a writer’s style and organization, having fun while developing as a writer, develop strengths and weaknesses, and developing an eye for a variety of rhetorical strategies to integrate that knowledge into their writing. 

My previous semesters at the City College of New York have been very difficult. Thus, taking it longer for me to adjust into virtual learning made it very difficult for me to succeed as I would’ve liked. In the beginning of this class I was very nervous as It was my first time attending campus and taking classes in person rather than online. A couple of days into this class, Professor Nivens asked the class to write a letter to ourselves and seal it up. At the end of the semester we were able to read the letter we had written in the beginning of class. My letter consisted of words of encouragement and led me to have confidence in my writing. My letter stated “I know you had a rough time in your previous semester but I know we will end this semester strong! You can do anything you set your mind to and I wish you nothing but happiness.” After completing all my assignments in this class and ending off reading the letter we had written to ourselves made me almost want to cry because my past self knew I could achieve what I struggled doing in the past. I grew confidence in not only my writing but in myself as well. 

In the middle of our semester, we were given an exploratory research essay where we were able to research the rhetorical strategies used in genres. The genre that I chose was romance where the truth behind the making of the genre romance came to light. This class taught how writing can be exciting and fun. I loved researching the similarities of the romance genre and coming into a conclusion about the genre. It made me view my favorite genre differently. In doing these assignments I was also taught how to thoughtfully write as well as noticing my peers’ organization style of writing. When we were done writing our exploratory research essay, we were able to read our peers’ papers. I read my peer, Dayanna Arias, “Manipulation at its Finest ” as she discussed the rhetoric hidden within the making of the genre horror and its psychological influence it has on its audience. In reading Arias I was able to notice her writing style, state a claim and support it using evidence and her own words. 

Another thing I learned throughout this course was developing an eye for my strengths and weaknesses. One of my strengths was being able to do my best in every assignment given such as presentations, free writes and participating in class. I also work well when in groups for group work. I loved doing the rhetoric group  project assigned on Fantomina. As well as analyzing Jennifer Tamayo “Red Missed Aches Read Missed Aches Red Mistakes Read Mistakes” as a group. In this class, I came to notice my weaknesses and that is my time management that I need to improve on in the future. 

In addition, throughout this semester while learning about how rhetoric is everywhere, I was able to develop  an eye for a variety of rhetorical strategies to integrate that knowledge into my writing and in everyone else’s writing all around us such as in advertisement, news articles, e.t.c. Once again in doing my exploratory research paper, where I was able to research rhetorical strategies in romance and in reading Dayanna Arias paper in rhetorical strategies in horror as well as everyone rhetorical strategies used in other genres said in their individual presentations, a lot was learned. When I read a novel or see something outside in public or watch a movie, I’m always the first to point it out to a group of friends. This skill will help me improve as a writer, being able to organize and the style of  my writing. Not only this but as a reader as well to further understand the claim of the writer. 

In conclusion, although I had a rough beginning of my year at the City College of New York, this class helped me stand back on my two feet. In this class I came to achieve “Developing confidence in my writing, responding thoughtfully in writing to published and peer essays and to recognize features of a writer’s style and organization, having fun while developing as a writer, develop strengths and weaknesses, and developing an eye for a variety of rhetorical strategies to integrate that knowledge into their writing.